Started in 1929 as a formal training of Hospital Assistants, it was started with recruits from those working in the wards, most of them were boys. On qualifying they worked as Doctors’ Assistants. Some of the graduants were sent back to start dispensaries in their home areas and this could be termed as birth of Community Health. Girls were also taken and trained for 3 years by the Nursing Sisters. They did nursing, midwifery and pharmacology. They were awarded Hospital Certificates only recognized by the Church of Scotland. This continued up to 1948.
In 1949, formal 2 years training in nursing was started followed immediately by midwifery training. The students did their examination at Pumwani Hospital, and were given a recognized certificate of the first 7 students taken in 1949, 4 completed the course and came back to work in the Hospital. The trainees recruited and were housed in the wooden building at the present Chapel sight.
In 1956, one of the former students was employed to help the matron/tutor in teaching and she did formal classroom teaching as well as Clinical instruction in the wards.
As the school grew and more people wanted to join nursing. It was found necessary to build permanent dormitory and classroom. In 1957, the present Girls Hostel (Shalom) was built with dormitories for students and single rooms for qualified nurses at the hospital.
In 1978-1979, classroom and school office were built and later a house-mothers flat was added to the building. Male students were housed in the former leprosy unit (Zion Classes) which was no longer used since leprosy cases had decreased. The school has continued to grow from 7 students to a maximum of 110 students.
In 1989 the Hospital and school Administration worked out a plan to phase out Kenya Enrolled Certificate and start KECHN(Kenya Enrolled Community Health Nurse) training in order to meet the communities health needs more comprehensively. Extensions were made to increase offices, toilets and classrooms.
In 1989 January the first class of KECHN was taken (30 students) it went through the set curriculum and all qualified in December 1991. The programe continued having two intakes per year of 20 students. On March 2007, In-service upgrading was started.
On 23rd March 2008 the Nursing Council approved the school request for commencing KRCHN course. In March 2009, In-service upgrading was changed to Distance Learning mode, to accommodate more students and to allow even those who could not afford to be away from their work stations for long. Today the school has 230 student nurses; 200 in the Regular Program and 30 in the Distrance Upgrading Program. Among the hospitals they practice in course of their studies are Karatina District Hospital, Kerugoya District Hospital, Mukurwe-ini Sub-district Hospital, etc.
There are 10 classrooms to accommodate 30 students each, 2 demonstration rooms, 2 skill labs, 1 male dormitory (100 pax) and a female dormitory (200 pax).
The school is a department of the hospital, which is licensed by the Ministry of Medical Services.
Upon completion, the student is subjected to a college final examination, and on passing this s/he is presented for the Nursing Council of Kenya Licensure Examination. On passing this, s/he is registered and licensed to practice.