The hospital was started in 1909 by the Church of Scotland. It is owned and governed by the Presbyterian Church of East Africa. It is located in the Central Highlands of Kenya between the Aberdares Range and Mount Kenya 130 Km (80 Miles) North of Nairobi at altitude of 5,900ft. It is a 203 bed hospital and provides holistic health care. Though located in a Kikuyu speaking people, the language of work is English and Swahili since not all staff are Kikuyu and from time to time it receives visitors from overseas. Medical students from abroad get their medical electives at the Hospital.
It provides general health care in medicine, surgery, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology as well as outpatient services.
The hospital has a Nursing School which is training Kenya Registered Community Health Nurses. Other units are the Guest House and a Cafeteria.
The Hospital Director, the Chief Medical Officer, the Hospital Administrator, the Nursing Officer in Charge, the Principal Tutor, the Hospital Chaplain and the Finance Manager are the members of Hospital Administration Team (HAT). The Heads of Department work under the HAT.
Our Vision: To be a leading Christian hospital in providing holistic quality health care in Kenya.
Our Mission: To bear witness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ through provision of quality, accessible, affordable health care to individual/ families/ groups and communities as well as train skilled health workers.